COE-Keeping Normalcy in the Company
Now, more than ever, it is crucial to keep team members engaged, connected, and positive. With so many unknowns spiraling around in the world, especially during this global pandemic, it is essential for employees to feel like they have normalcy, safety and an outlet for communication within the workplace and among peers. JD Ewing, CEO and President of COE Distributing has created this engaged and positive environment and outlet for his team, and he wants to share his expertise, so that more companies can do the same.
Below are some suggestions on how JD Ewing has been helping his team cope with their stressors, while keeping them engaged and positive:
- Be fully transparent with the team. Tell them how the business is doing, whether it is good or bad. Also, be open and honest with how you are personally feeling, to build a strong connection. Ewing sends out daily emails full of business updates and numbers, ideas for the company that he wants input on, and positive messages. He also sends out two video recordings each week that let the team members know what is happening in the company.
- Stay in constant communication with your team members. Have daily huddles every single day between departments, facilities, and the entire company as a whole. Use these huddles to discuss problems, find solutions, and just to check in. Daily huddles are critical for a department and business to run efficiently, and they are even more critical during this time, because they are the only way team members working from home can have face-to-face interactions.
- Have fun with your team members. At COE, Ewing has been offering two Live Breakaway with JD sessions each week, where the COE team members and Sales Reps can come together and talk about anything from what shows they are binge watching to anything business related. Ewing also hosts Happy Hours every Friday evening.
- Bring your team members in on ideas and solutions. Allow them to share their opinions and offer suggestions. You never know how many great suggestions you will get that you can use to help business grow!
- Keep your employee engagement opportunities in full swing. At COE Distributing, book groups are still being done virtually, along with birthday celebrations, Warrior Helmet ceremonies, Employee of the Quarter announcements, and the Rising Stars Program meetings and projects. COE Distributing is also the first Proud Employee Engagement Partner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, so the company has hosted webinars and book groups with the partners at the Penguins as well.
- Always have an open-door policy. Let your team members know that you are here for them and that there are also other resources available that allow them opportunities to talk through their thoughts and feelings.
- Help them feel safe! If they are coming in to the workplace every day, make sure the proper guidelines are in place and you supply them with the PPE needed to make them feel secure. If team members can work from home, encourage them to do so, but supply them with the tools needed for success and once again COMMUNICATE ALWAYS!
While the world is definitely experiencing a new normal, there are still ways to keep the old normal in your company. Provide your team members with stability, transparency, and engagement, and you will be surprised with how much your company still flourishes, even through a pandemic.